Thursday, March 10, 2011

American Idol Top 13 (EDIT: Results)

Currently Listening To: Nicole Atkins - Cool Enough


The performances of the 13 American Idol finalists was shown tonight, and honestly I think it is one of the strongest Top 13/12 ever. Compared to last year, everyone in this season sound like professionals. Seriously.

Anyway, to me the bottom of the pack this week would be:

Ashton Jones - Oh dear. Wannabe diva. I didn't think she was that bad, but when you're in American Idol and you don't stand out...I think you're screwed. By standing out, I mean being memorable or at least having a mediocre performance. Unfortunately for Ashton, she was forgettable. And apparently without a fanbase.

Naima Adepapo - She sang Umbrella for heaven's sake! Bad song choice. Danced more than she sang. To top it off...she's a wild card contestant so that means she does not have much of a fanbase either. I think it's sad, cause I actually like her.

Karen Rodriquez - Vocally it wasn't that awful, but it sure wasn't good either. And something about her seems so...fake. Everything she sings is just flat, kinda like Taylor Swift with a better voice.

The rest of them were pretty good in my opinion, seriously no comparison with any of the contestants of Season 9. Unbelievable!

Paul McDonald - I'll be honest here, I didn't 'get' his performance. Sure it wasn't bad, but it was boring. Lacked integrity and passion, I feel.

Thia Megia - I won't deny that she has a voice, but seriously this girl is just as flat and emotionless as Karen. The only thing better about her is her voice, and her looks. Overall, a decent performance and thus she'll be safe.

Haley Reinhart - That was a pretty good performance for Haley. The yodelling(??) was weird but vocally I thought she was spot on. Boring song choice though.

Lauren Alaina - She and Thia needs to learn a lesson or two from each other. Thia should infuse some of Lauren's confidence in her performances, while Lauren should learn humility. I mean seriously, it's just a slight critique and there she was making faces at the judges! Really shows her age. Time for Little Lauren to grow up a little. As for her performance, it wasn't that bad but it was boring. Great voice, bad attitude, so sorry I do not like her at all.

Casey Abrams - Thought his performance was just so-so yesterday. I mean, I do like the guy and all but he has no...oomph factor. It's like, Kris Allen or Taylor Hicks. Consistently decent performances but no strength somehow.

Stefano Langone - Awwww isn't he cute? He sounded okay, the song choice was okay and had an interesting arrangement but he lacks oomph too. I would, however, sign him if I were music producer or something. He has the perfect voice for Bruno Mars-ish songs, and that seems to be the in-thing now so, yeah.

Jacob Lusk - He sang I Believe I Can Fly, believe it or not! And he sang it quite well too. Usually that song is like the death kiss. A bit over the top at times but generally pretty good performance.

Scotty McCreery - I still find his deep voice disturbing, but that was an excellent song choice. Should be signed up by a country music record label asap! The perfect male counterpart for Taylor Swift...and definitely better than her. Baby lock them doors...


The Top 2 for the night:

James Durbin and Pia Toscano! Congratulations for being consistently good, and for delivering stand out and vocally impeccable perfomances. Okay, maybe not impeccable but close enough! And to think, I didn't like any of them a few weeks ago. So I'm still not a big fan, but at least I'm really warming up to them now. James' song choice was excellent, a Paul McCartney song I've never heard before but it suits him really well. And Pia's voice is just amazing! Definitely the best female of the bunch.


~*~


Soooo...I'm still pretty impressed. Jennifer Lopez, I think she's an awesome judge. She actually gives constructive criticism! I remember liking her when she was a guest judge a few seasons ago, so yeah she is the perfect replacement. Steven, on the other hand, is so Paula. Half drunk and too nice for his own good. And as for Randy? Well, Randy's just Randy. Curious to see who'll go home tomorrow.

EDIT: Results

So I was right about Ashthon, no fanbase whatsoever. I was very sad to see her go though, she has the potential. May she do well in the future.

Also, please pray for Japan everyone. It was hit by a really bad earthquake and that resulted in a terrible tsunami. The damage looks terrible and I was shaking when I saw the news. This goes out to all the countries that might be affected by the tsunami too.

No comments: