Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bad Song Choice Night Returns (+ Results)

Currently Listening To: Keane - Let It Slide


Before I continue, I just have to say this:-

None of the song choices made on American Idol tonight was good. Seriously. Not. One. Single. Song.

And because of that, I'm having a really hard time trying to find something nice to say about the contestants so let's just..get on with the seriously horrible performances, starting with

Karen Rodriguez. Girl gots to go. STAT. Horrible song choice (one of those super boring ballads played on a loop on Lite.fm), terrible execution...and she's younger than me?? She looks so OLD. She is definitely the contestant I dislike the most in three seasons. THREE SEASONS and last year really sucked. Honestly, I'm done with her, and I hope America is too.

Thia Megia fared no better than Karen this time around. She gave a completely uninspiring performance of 'Colors of the Wind' and as I've mentioned before, GIRL CANNOT HIT THE HIGH NOTES. As if that's not bad enough, she is bland, boring and totally flat in her delivery so if she's not gone within the next few weeks, I'd be surprised.

Naima Adepapo was slightly better that Karen and Thia, but still bad overall. Who'd have guessed that she'd just crash and fall like that? Two weeks in a row. At least last week was entertaining. No excuses for this week - she made a bad song choice, couldn't sing in tune and wasn't memorable. She's in serious danger, IMHO.

(Note that the bottom three are all FEMALES! I thought this was suppose to be a girl's year? Femme fatales crashing and burning badly.)

Haley Reinhart took a step backwards this week. She has been improving lately, but this time was a no go for her. Vocally, a very weak performance and well, song choice sucks obviously.

As for Casey Abrams...well I thought the song choice was not too bad, but the actual performance was absolutely uninspiring. He sang 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' but it sounded more like the Smell of Dispirit. Compared to the others though, he was still okay.

Jacob Lusk was just as bad as Casey. I think he's the first male contestant who sang Heart's Alone and um, I thought that was a really bad choice because so many other previous contestants sang the song much better than him. Once again, Jacob's guilty of oversinging, and that about sums up his whole performance.

Paul McDonald was sick, but er didn't really hear that in his performance. He sounded the same to me. Song choice was decent (for tonight), and he was generally okay I guess? No progress.

Personally, I felt that James Durbin went down quite a few notches this week. Mostly because I'm starting to feel a little bored with him? He is the only 'rocker dude' left though, so I shouldn't be expecting much variety. At least the song he sang was okay, vocally it wasn't so great but overall it was good enough to put him head and shoulders above the other 7 aforementioned contestants.

Lauren Alaina is really immature, isn't she? I take back what I said a few weeks ago about her being older. She actually has the maturity of a ten-year-old and Ryan Seacrest is doing everything possible to encourage that. On the bright side, at least she sings well? That is about the only good thing I can think of to say about her. I'm sorry judges, I don't think she should be excused just because she's what, 16?

And as expected, Scotty McCreery went country again. At least he pulled it off well? One of the better song selections of the night, although I don't know the song.

Pia Toscano sounded awesome as usual, but I really hated the song she sang. Seriously, aren't there any better songs to sing? From 1988? Or is that year such a bad year? (Gosh we're the same age...I'm embarrassed). She needs to be more creative. It takes more than just good vocals to get through American Idol ya know. Work it girl, show some versatility.

So Pia was okay and all, but the best of the night was definitely:

Stefano Langone! Let's give him a big round of applause, for being the one shining star tonight (despite the questionable song choice. Or should I say, in spite of the song choice?). Brilliant vocals. Absolutely perfect. Now he kinda reminds me of David Archuleta hmmm.

Anyway, a very disappointing week. Jennifer Lopez is as awesome as ever though. The only judge giving constructive criticism. I say, give her a round of applause too for being so gorgeous and awesome!


~*~


EDIT (RESULTS): Karen's gone. FINALLY!

Ooooh, Lee performed? Gotta watch that then. I thought they'd forgotten about him heh.

No comments: