Sunday, May 04, 2014

The Voice - Top 10

Currently Listening To: Kyline Minogue - Silence


I used to love The Voice because of the unusual and interesting song selections made by the contestants. This season however, proves to be the total opposite. As Idol seeks to revamp their old and dated song catalogue, The Voice apparently decided to take a leaf out of theirs. The result of that is rather muted and dull performances from -most- of the contestants.

Rankings this week, starting with the worst of the lot. I present to you -

Bria 
I think this is a unanimous opinion from most people - Bria was, hands down, the worse performer this week. I would equate her version of Avril Lavigne's I'm With You with Majesty Rose's disastrous Let It Go. Yes, it was that bad! She has no place in this Top 12, let alone Top 10. None of the judges could muster a positive comment on her vocal performance, instead opting to sugercoat their commendation of her efforts so far. Usher made a really, really bad decision with this girl.

Kat
Honestly, Kat wasn't much better than Bria this week. Her vocals were not strong at all, even though she claimed that Landslide was an emotional song choice for her. Maybe it was too emotional. She lost the Kat 'essence' in that process. Not a good week for her.

Jake
Jake, oh Jake. Usually he sounds quite steady but for the first time since his audition, I detected shaky vocals. Of course he's the country darling, so he'll be safe for quite a bit. Otherwise, I'd say that his charm is starting to get old and might in fact, backfire on him.

Tess
Nothing wrong with Tess's singing this week, but nothing about her stood out either. By right, that song (Paramore's Ain't It Fun) choice should have made her pop. By right, but it didn't. At this stage I can only feel sorry for her, because I know she won't be getting a lot of votes. Other than her existing fans, I don't think she won anyone over this week.

Josh
Unfortunately for Usher, Josh is the only decent candidate on his team but I have a hunch he isn't going to last for long. He has this really amazing, versatile voice and he is relatable to the audience, but honestly I think he peaked too soon. Right now, his vocally perfect performances are boring me, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Audra
This little dark horse country powerhouse is starting to prove her worth. I've never paid attention to her voice before, until today that is. In spite of the country inclinations, she actually has a really good tone, good range and she rarely misses notes. And although I found the song choice boring, I found myself drawn to her voice. I hope she continues to improve.

Kristen
Well, I've always liked Kristen but what a surprisingly good performance from her. Despite choosing to sing Passenger's Let Her Go (Cole Vosbury's version was one of my favorites last season), I was genuinely impressed by her vocals. She is definitely improving and learning to own the stage as well. It's really nice to see contestants improving as opposed to remaining the same or getting worse .

Delvin
Wow, he really bounced back from last week's yawn inducing performance and finally showed what he's capable of doing. Talk about a 360 degree turn! Excellent song choice which allowed him to demonstrate his vocal prowess and stage presence.

Sissaudra
Right now Sissy is one of the contestants to beat, mostly because she is ever so consistent. Even though she wasn't at her best last week, it was still very true to herself and vocally she was never faltering. And she still didn't falter this week, but the song choice could have been a little bit more interesting. Still, gotta give her props for the excellent vocals and for working the stage like a pro!

And the best performance of the week undoubtedly goes to...

Christina and her lovely rendition of Drake's Hold On, We're Going Home. It may not have been vocally perfect, but this is what contestants are suppose to do - pick a song, put a bit him/herself into the song and sing it well. I love the original, and I really like Christina's version as well. Unlike the other popular teenager on this show *cough*, Christina is actually living up to her earlier hype and performing consistently well every week.

Results

This time the audience got it right - Bria (finally!) and Tess (unfortunately) are gone, while Kat won the Twitter Save and gets another week.

No comments: