Thursday, May 01, 2014

Sweet Surrender

Currently Listening To: Lord Huron - Time to Run

Tonight is the night where American Idol front runners fell apart.
Well, almost fell apart at least.

Isn't it depressing when the person you like and support is faltering a bit while the others are kind of overtaking the said person. And just last week this person was doing so well.

Anyways. Let's start off this week's review with...

Sam
Sing by Ed Sheeran
Never heard the song before. As far as Sam goes, this was quite a decent performance. It may have been a boring and slightly uninspiring song choice, but he was pitch perfect and his buttery voice did wonders for him. 5/10

How to Save a Life by The Fray
While his first song was pitch perfect, the second one was a lot less so. The first verse was really...yikes. The rest of it was marginally better, but with another boring performance I don't really know what to say. Where did I go wrong? Everything, everywhere, everytime. 4/10

Final Rating: 4.5/10 (!!)

Caleb
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
A bad song choice, and very duly noted by Caleb too. This is the person (and the performance) who has disappointed me dearly this week. His vocals were completely off here. I lost count of the number of notes he missed. The pitchiest music I've heard in weeks, the only things worse are C.J. Harris's weekly performances and Bria Kelly's horrendous goat bleats. 2/10

Still of the Night by Whitesnake
...Keith and J.Lo were rocking out on their feet. Like head banging and everything. Sure, it was a much better performance than the Aerosmith one AND he was closing the night, but geez in no way was that better than any of his previous performances. Unwarranted -standing ovation-. If that counts as a standing ovation. 7/10

Final Rating: 4.5/10 (!!)

Jessica
Human by Christina Perri
Out of her two performances, I thought Human was the superior one. She sounded vulnerable and her tone was at least pleasant to listen to. Liked it, didn't love it. I think Christina Grimmie should sing this song for The Voice. It should suit her better than Jessica. 7/10

Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Rey
Seems like a lot of people liked this performance of Jessica's. I guess I'm in the minority cos I did not like it at all. Her voice didn't sound very  pleasant in my opinion and at times it was bordering on Bria Kelly territory (don't get me started on that girl). The 'big beauty queen' style did not suit her either. The only good thing I can say is...she had on a pretty red dress? I am one who is not getting the Jessica love, but I do feel sorry for her when she was waiting for the judges to comment. She looked so miserable I could almost cry for her. This time though the judges' comments weren't bad at all, seeing as I would have said MUCH worse things to her. In fact, I thought J.Lo's comment was actually good advise and Jessica should seriously take it. 5/10

Final Rating: 6/10

Alex
Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood
I liked it. He sounded like he was having fun, and his voice was excellent. Perfect song choice for him. 7/10

Say Something by A Great Big World (feat. Christina Aguilera)
Was that a moment? Definitely not, but that was one of the night's better performances among all. Sailing through to next round for sure. I think. Maybe. Perhaps. 8/10

Final Rating: 7.5/10

Jena
My Body by Young the Giant
I liked this performance of Jena's, though she did lose quite a few words when she was bouncing around. Those moments, I could barely hear her. The band was a bit too loud as well, so that kinda killed the mood for me. At any rate that was still an excellent vocal experience from Jena. 8/10

Valerie by The Zutons/Amy Winehouse
Another excellent showing from Jena. Valerie really showcased her unique tone and big range, so it's no surprise she's the best of the night. 8/10

Final Rating: 8/10

Who should be Bottom 2? Sam & Caleb
Who will be Bottom 2? Sam & Caleb with Sam going home.

I'll have to say that the song choices this week are excellent, most of the songs have never been performed on the American Idol stage before. Nor The Voice. Come to think of it, AI Season 13's song choices have been a lot better than The Voice's Season 6.

Edit with Results:

This week's results show revealed TPTB's desperation to keep a certain contestant on the show. Or so it would seem. Perhaps it was just desperate cry for attention.

This week's elimination of Sam introduced probably the worse twist ever on a reality TV show. For some inconceivable reason they made the final 5 contestants vote for whether they want the Top 5 to remain for another week while next week's show will eliminate 2 contestants at one go. And that'll only work if all contestants vote unanimously.

So it happens 3 contestants voted yes while 2 voted NO. I don't know who voted no, but according to Wikipedia:

"During interviews with the remaining contestants it was revealed that Jena and Alex voted no and Caleb, Jessica and Sam voted yes."

That's actually kind of interesting. I can understand why Sam, Jess and Caleb would vote Yes though. Caleb knew he had a bad week, and the other two have been in the bottom before (in Jess's case, EVERY week).

So, I am satisfied with the results this week but that totally horrendous attempt at manipulating the situation is a BIG, FAT NO.

No comments: