Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Voice - Top 12 Live Shows

Currently Listening To: Shakira - Empire



Here's a quick review on last week's Top 12 episode of The Voice - two contestants were eliminated from the competition.

Ranking the top 12 from the worst to the best:

Delvin Choice
Oh boy. Never sing Unchained Melody for a live show. It rarely translates to the big stage. That was a very unimpressive performance, and I'm not quite sure what he was thinking when he agreed to that song. Talk about throwing his contestant under the bus? Isn't that what you were doing, Adam?

Dani Moz
The second half of her rendition of Just Give Me A Reason was a disaster. And she started off so well too! I don't know how to rank her thanks to that horrendous second half. The only bright side was that she was pitch perfect on that high note? Cos the rest of it wasn't. Poor Shakira.

Bria Kelly
To be honest, I can't stand the fact that she is still on the show. Seriously. Her voice gets on my nerves. Even when singing a less shouty version of Rolling in the Deep. I have nothing against the arrangement, in fact I think that's the only good part of the song. That goat bleat however - it's horrible and she can't rid of it. If that's suppose to be her trademark, then I'm gonna pass.

T.J. Wilkins
Waiting for the World to Change is another song I would never select for a Top 12 live show. It's too boring and until now I have yet to hear an inspiring cover of it. C.J. from American Idol sang this for Top 12 too, and frankly speaking he sang it better. It's a good thing that he was more or less in tune for the whole song.

Jake Worthington
I love this dude's voice, but I didn't want Anymore of that performance. It was so boring, and sleepy and I only ranked him higher than T.J because it's slightly more interesting. VERY slightly.

Audra McLaughlin
She sounded promising during the practice sessions, but her actual performance was very insipid and dull. Angel of the Morning made me want to curl up and sleep. It's a good thing her vocals were pretty solid.

Sissaundra Lewis
There was nothing wrong with her performance, but I didn't quite relate to it. Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me is one of those songs that won't really appeal to the public, so with songs like that I don't think Sissaundra's chances of winning this competition is going to be high. I mean, let's be real - women like Sissaundra typically won't last long in a singing contest like this.

Christina Grimmie
She screamed some parts of the song but overall she did a pretty good job with Dark Horse. For sure it sounded better than any of Katy Perry's live performances. Other than that though, why pick that song? Based on previous experience, voters don't usually like this sort of songs. Will she outlast Bria in this competition? I sure hope so, cos I think she's a better singer and has a better personality too.

Kristen Merlin
Poor thing, her mic died about two thirds into the song. She just kept singing! Bravo lady, you have my respect. That and the fact that she sang Sugarland's Stay very well. Just my opinion though, she doesn't seem to be getting much love from other reviewers. That's worrying, cos I actually do like her and I want her to stay.

Tess Boyer
I really liked her version of Bon Jovi's I'll Be There For You. She sounded and looked amazing, and was in tune all the way through. She also sang with a lot of passion. No wooden faces ala Sam/Jess. The only minor complain I have about her performance was the somewhat odd song choice. She doesn't really seem like a Bon Jovi kind of girl.

Kat Perkins
Charismatic. That really is the best word to describe Kat, I think. Her rendition of Heart's Magic Man was by no means perfect, but somehow it stood out to me. She totally belongs on the stage. Her vocals were great, and at least the song choice isn't boring. Seriously, I can't believe she's a nanny! She looks totally bad-ass. I'm ranking her ahead of Tess and Kristen because of her stage presence.

Josh Kaufman
I guess the performance of the night goes to Josh, based solely on his vocal performance AND his stage presence, singing Sam Smith's Stay With Me. Although he was just standing in his place and not exactly prancing around on stage, you could feel his earnestness, his devotion to his craft and his emotions. That's something all of the AI contestants could stand to learn. And that falsetto! Just perfect.

I gotta say though, despite the mostly positive performances from the majority of the Top 12 contestants, there were no wow moments anywhere. Still better than AI's Top 12 I suppose?

With Results:
Unfortunately the bottom 3 were Tess, Dani and T.J, with Tess being saved via #TwitterVote.

I can understand why Dani and T.J were there and then subsequently eliminated, but Tess? She was pretty darn good! I guess she doesn't have a big fanbase? I hope she'll survive to at least Top 6!

And I was way off about Christina. That girl's fanbase alone will win her this damn thing. Or so it would seem at this point of the competition.

Poor Dani as well, she had a bad week and I guess that's all there is to it. Not sure why Delvin was safe though. His performance was more bland and boring than all of the bottom 3.

No comments: