Sunday, April 20, 2014

Here Comes the Bus

Currently Listening To: Muse - Uprising

Another delayed review for American Idol.
Shows just how dedicated I am to this season huh?

But seriously, I didn't really have the time to watch it last week so I just skimmed through the performances in Youtube. Anyway this week the contestants picked songs for each other, so it was quite interesting. Not a bad week but it was nowhere near great either.

Rankings:

So Who Went Home Last Week? Dexter did.

He sang Muckalee Creek Water, whatever that is. It wasn't a bad song choice for him but at this stage he needed to stand out badly. However, he didn't and I guess that's why he was actually eliminated this week. There goes the country chances this year. 3/10

Jessica - Gunpowder and Lead
Something about her vocals was off. She wasn't pitchy or anything - I just can't place what went wrong with her performance. And while that may not have been her best performance, the judges' harsh and unnecessary criticisms were completely unwarranted. I guess Jess is this season's roadkill for TPTB. Why though? What did she do to make them hate her so much? At least with Haley (Reinhart), I could understand. She was a threat to their beloved country duo. But Jess? Who exactly is she a threat to? Caleb? Sam?? 4/10

C.J - Gravity
First time in weeks he actually sounded decent I think. What a shame cos it really destroyed Dexter's chances in the competition (and probably Jessica's as well. Sad.) 5/10

Sam - Sail Away
I have never heard the song before, and yet Sam managed to make me love it. That's a huge improvement for him I think. He sounded good, genuinely felt the song for once and looked slightly more comfortable on stage. 7/10

Alex - A Team
Oooh, the only Ed Sheeran song I like. That was a good one from Alex, though I guess he didn't quite stand out? He's not as consistent as Caleb, but he has been doing pretty okay for the past 4 weeks or so. 7/10

Caleb - Family Tree
I'm completely unfamiliar with this Kings of Leon song (OMG! Kings of Leon on American Idol? I didn't think that was possible wtf), but what the hell I thought Caleb totally rocked it. He actually sounded like Caleb Followill (another Caleb zomg) in some parts. Damn, is he consistently good or what? Seriously, he's the only contestant who seems to belong in this competition. 8/10

Jena - Creep
Is this the first Radiohead song in American Idol as well? I can't believe Caleb picked this song for Jena - I don't think it's good news for him cos she totally slayed it! The best cover ever of Creep by an amateur singer in a singing competition. Especially since this is American-Freaking-Mainstream-Idol. 9/10

And Idol-Cameraman? Please stop zooming in on Jennifer's face every bloody second. I only watched the full show on TV for a couple of performances and all I kept seeing was J.Lo. You got that right. Not the contestants, but J.Lo. Cut it out, you're making all of us watching at home hate her, and I actually enjoy her critiques okay?

That's all for this week, folks. Now I'm gonna go listen to some David Gray.

No comments: