Thursday, April 03, 2014

Vast Improvement

Currently Listening To: Yuna - Rescue

For the first time in weeks I wasn't disappointed with -most- of the contestants. That's a good thing, right? *obsessed*


This week they sang their audition songs, so we can see how far they've progressed from the first day until now, and if they are able to recreate the magic that got them this spot in the first place. 8 performances and 4 duets, let's see how they fared:


Malaya and Sam - Colbie Caillat and Jason Mraz’s Lucky

Ouch I think that was easily one of the worst performances in S13. And that came from two of the better vocalists! What the hell man. 0/10

C.J. - The Allman Bros. Band’s Soulshine 

Alright, it was significantly better than last week, but he still wasn't hitting the right notes. Most of the time. If he survives this week then he is one lucky dude. 2/10

C.J. and Dexter - Darius Rucker’s Alright

You know, Dexter sounded decent actually but he's duetting with C.J. so...yeah. Boring song and boring duo. 3/10

Jena and Alex - Pink & Nate Ruess’ Just Give Me a Reason

As far as duets go, I think this was a pretty weird pairing. At any rate they sounded pretty good, with Alex sounding better than Jena. She did miss a couple of notes. 3/10

Sam - Ed Sheeran’s Lego House

I won't deny that he sounded pretty good, but something about those dead eyes stops me from enjoying his performances somehow. I don't usually mind guys like Sam much. However, with Sam I really feel like shaking him or whacking his head to...I don't know, wake him up? Snoozefest. 4/10

Jessica & Caleb - Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty’s Stop Dragging My Heart Around

Kudos to the rock couple! I'm not familiar with the song but that was a really good pairing. Both Jess and Caleb sang really well, and they actually connected with each other and the audience too. Good job to both. 6/10

Caleb - Aretha Franklin’s Chain of Fools

A rock version of Chain of Fools. Very interesting. I'm really loving Caleb's voice, but there were a few moments where he didn't quite hit the notes. Not his best performance. 7/10

Jessica - Blue Eyed Lie (Original Song)

Oh yes we have an original Meuse song here tonight. I don't know why but I didn't really enjoy it much. I mean she sang it well, and she does have some decent songwriting skills so...I guess it's the tone of her voice that kinda gets on my nerves. 7.5/10

Dexter - Brett Eldredge’s One Mississippi

He may have been singing a ballad but this is the best he has sounded for weeks. I guess I can cross him off the bottom 3 list for the time being? 8/10

Malaya - Aretha Franklin’s Ain’t No Way

Well well colour me impressed! Excellent vocals this time. Oh my gosh, I think Malaya's the contestant who improved the most this season. Whoever it was that trained her to control her voice should be given a gold medal. And a hug! This week is the first time I genuinely enjoyed Malaya's performance and she totally slayed it. (But what's with the Aretha Franklin this week? It's not Aretha theme week!) 8/10

Jena - Adele's Rolling in the Deep

Now that was an interesting arrangement for Rolling in the Deep. I can't even begin to tell you how sick I am of that song. In other words, Jena actually did a good thing by totally rearranging the tune and making it her own, thus catching the attention of the audiences (and people like me). 8.5/10 

Alex - Fairytales (Original Song)

Alex definitely needs to be a songwriter. That was really good for someone who has no professional experience in song writing! Very impressive. Great vocals, great song, and I'm glad that he's finally got a chance to record and release it as a single (of sorts). 9/10

Who will end up in the bottom 3? Sam, CJ, Caleb/Malaya

Who will receive the least votes? CJ

Peace out.


Edit with Results:
Sam received the least votes! But he was saved by the judges. Did he deserve the save? Hell no.
Another interesting to note is that Malaya was in the Bottom 3 as well, just as I predicted. After that excellent performance? Wow. Not a good sign for her...

No comments: