Thursday, April 24, 2014

Rock vs Country

Currently Listening To: Keane -  The Frog Prince

Finally we're down to the Top 6 of American Idol.
With the exception of C.J. and maybe Sam, I think we actually have a pretty decent Top 6.
It's still not much compared to last year's Top 3 but considering how this season has been I'd say that the end result is pretty satisfying. I've given up watching it on TV so I'm just watching the videos on Youtube, and (thankfully) bypassing the judges' comments. At least that'll make me a little less biased?

Moving on.
This week the contestants have to sing two songs each - one Country and one Rock & Roll.
It's quite a good theme as it gives the contestants a chance to sing a mixture of new and old songs. So how well did they do this week? Let's start off with...

C.J.
The Guess Who's American Woman and Zac Brown Band's Whatever It Is
Can somebody please tell me why has he been avoiding bottom 2 for the past...5..6 weeks? He started the song on the wrong pitch again. The rest of the song was slightly better, but in all seriousness - who in the world has been voting for him? Usually contestants like C.J. are eliminated quite early in the competition. What does his voters see in him? Why is he still here when even Dexter's gone? 3/10

So the first song was still acceptable (in C.J. standards) but the second one takes the cake for the worst Top 6 performance ever. That was like, watching him sing in the shower without the bathroom acoustics. At least he was kinda in tune. And that was still better Majesty's Let It Go. In hindsight, I think I still prefer C.J. over Lazaro (season 12 6th place finalist). It'll be mind-boggling if he survives this week. 3/10

Final Rating: 3/10

Alex
Neon Tree's Animal and Willie Nelson's Always On My Mind.
Um I don't know what to make of his song selections. His rendition of Animal was quite off pitch and nasally all over, so that's not good. Usually his reinventions are pretty spot on, but Animal just isn't one of them. So many rock songs out there and he chooses Animal? Seriously? 4/10

Always On My Mind was truckloads better. I had a problem with his look though. He looked constipated and uncomfortable in that suit and all I could think of was Elliot Yamin. Don't ask me why. These are the reasons why I can't rank him in the Top 3 tonight. In fact if not for his WGWG status I would be doubting his chances of survival. 6/10

Final Rating: 5/10

Sam
Imagine Dragon's It's Time and Shania Twain's You're Still the One
It's a good thing Sam's vocals are so strong because that performance was completely devoid of emotion. At least, that was the impression he gave to me. The unfortunate result was that bland, forgettable performance There were some bright moments in there but it's not good enough for even Top 12, let alone Top 6. 4/10

On the bright side, I thought You're Still the One was one of his best performances. A little conviction goes a long way. For Sam, that is. Solid vocals, but overall still very vanilla.  6/10

Final Rating: 5/10

Jessica
Jefferson Airplane's Somebody to Love and Dolly Parton's Jolene
I found Somebody to Love rather repetitive and although Jess sang well, I don't think that song did her much justice. Yes, it's the other way round. At this stage in the competition, the contestants NEED to choose songs that will draw people in to vote for them and honestly Jefferson Airplane isn't going to win her new votes. Unless the audience are big fans in the first place. Since she was in the bottom 2 last week, it's not a very wise decision on her part. 6/10

Now, her rock version of Jolene however was just brilliant. The way she sang it - I could feel the desperate plea to the judges in her voice. Not to mention her vocals were just perfect. I love this song, but I'll have to completely disagree with Keith on the arrangement. What was up with his attitude? It seems like he hates her even more than J.Lo does. In my opinion that rock arrangement was perfect for Jess, perfect for American Idol and a perfect way to prove the judges wrong. So yeah, thanks J.Lo for that kind comment even though she has been so hard on Jess for the past few weeks. At least she acknowledges improvement and good performance when she sees one. 9/10

Final Rating: 7.5/10

Jena
Heart's Barracuda and Carrie Underwood's So Small
What a way to start off the show! Barracuda was the perfect song for Jena to showcase her vocals and personality. She definitely caught everyone's attention even though she had the so-called death slot. Brilliant, energetic and memorable. 9/10

And then we have a Carrie Underwood song. Vocally I thought it was pretty strong but there were some moments where Jena's enunciation just got on my nerves so I couldn't fully enjoy the performance. Nevertheless, this dark horse is definitely shaping up to be THE contestant to beat. Yes, ahead of Caleb simply because she has shown a lot more improvement and made 'cool' song choices. Plus, she's female and not a WGWG so that gives her an edge of sorts as well. 7/10

Final Rating: 8/10

Caleb
The Black Crowe's Sting Me and Carrie Underwood's Undo It
You know what, Caleb is just...wow. In my eyes he is pretty much this season's Candice - very consistent and generally just kicking ass every week. This week is no different. What he did to that Black Crowe's song was just pure Caleb. To quote J.Lo, that was just pure rock and roll and awesome. Great vocals all the way through. And omg that wail - just perfect! 8/10

As for his second song - I know it's suppose to be the Country theme but Caleb pretty much just did his thing and rocked it. Another Carrie Underwood song. I'm not a fan of Carrie Underwood or her songs, so I'm kinda pleased with this arrangement. It was cool, and although I wish he could have made an effort to stick to the theme, I'm still pleased with the outcome. Keep it going! 9/10

Final Rating: 8.5/10

Who should go home? C.J.

Who will go home? Sam

Edit with Results:
C.J. is finally gone! *cheers* Long overdue.

No comments: