Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Missed Week (Top 8 Redux)

Now Playing: Drake feat. Rihanna - Take Care

I totally forgot about American Idol this week!
So far I've only read reviews on the performances, and I can assure you that nobody was particularly impressive again.

Poor Malaya was eliminated from the competition after choosing to sing the anthem of death - "Through the Fire'. At the expense of C.J too!

How unfortunate for Malaya, she has improved so much while C.J hasn't. I'll update on the performances once I...have the mood to youtube them.

15/4/2014 update
I finally watched their performances and I've gotta say that I agree with the critics - last week wasn't a good week for any of the contestants other than Caleb and Jessica. Theme was 80's week (I guess that explains the disaster).

Rankings below:
Caleb (Faithfully) - That was good. Excellent vocals as always. 9/10
Jessica (Call Me) - I actually preferred her version over Haley's. Nice job. 8/10
Alex (Every Breath You Take) - Interesting arrangement with spot on vocals. 7.5/10
Sam (Time after Time) - Sounded great. Slightly more connected to the song and audience too. 7/10
Jena (I Love Rock and Roll) - I did not like it. Bland and uninteresting. 4/10
Dexter (Keep Your Hands to Yourself) - Did not like it, although he sounded reasonable enough. 3.5/10
Malaya (Through the Fire) - Horrible song choice plus pitch problems. Not good. 3/10
C.J. (Free Falling) - He was off pitch from the first note. What else to expect from him? Sigh. 2/10

As for duets, only Caleb and Jena's stood out to me.


That was a (The Voice) Battle Round worthy performance from both Caleb and Jena! And I wouldn't have known who to choose (leaning towards Caleb though). 

No comments: