Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Minutes to Midnight Review

After the disaster of the last few papers, I decided to take a break to review Linkin Park's newest album, Minutes to Midnight.

I'll start it off by saying that I'm disappointed with what they have to offer this time around. Seriously! Minutes to Midnight sounds so unlinkin-parkish...in this album, they sound like a mixture of random mediocre bands. Eight out of twelve songs on the album are slow, sleep-inducing ballads. I mean come on, this is Linkin Park, not Keane! I want to listen to all that noise! If I wanted music that's soft and melodic, I'd go for Keane, or Coldplay. Linkin Park? Heck, now I really miss all that noise in the first two albums. Hybrid Theory was awesome, Meteora was not too bad, Reanimation was cool and now Minutes to Midnight...is just different. Way different. Still, it's an okay album, if you can get pass the fact that it's Linkin Park we're listening to. There are a few good tracks in the album, and change is good and all, but when and if they release their fourth album, it'd better more energetic!

My opinions on each song:
1. Wake - an instrumental; a good start, sounds like Keane though, minus guitars
2. Given Up - nice song, but what's up with the fucks? O.o
3. Leave Out All The Rest - one of my favourites, but is not that impressive
4. Bleed It Out - sounds like their old style, however I hate this song!
5. Shadow of the Day - is it just me, or do they sound like The Rasmus on this song? Anyway it's ok...too balladish though
6. What I've Done - lead single; it's ok, nothing to shout about
7. Hands Held High - good grief, they sound like the church choir or something! Hate this
8. No More Sorrow - now this is more like it! Love this
9. Valentine's Day - it's not something I'd want to listen to on Valentine's Day...
10. In Between - stick to rap, Mike. Hate this song as well
11. In Pieces - pretty good, finally something other than Chester's voice
12. The Little Things Give You Away - ah my favourite song on this album. And one of my favourite Linkin Park songs from all albums too. Good job on this one!

Verdict: I'd give this 3/5. For a Linkin Park album, this truly sucks. However, if you can just get past that, it's pretty good actually. Too many mushy, balladish, U2-ish songs, why on earth did they change their style that much? Can you imagine? 8 out of 12 songs are SLOW songs! I honestly think I'm listening to some other band other than Linkin Park. Next time boys, stick to what you know best. I've read most online reviews for this, majority of their fans hate the fact that they changed their style, and I hate to say this but I agree with them. Strangely enough, some fans (or non-fans) really dig this album!

EDIT: There's a song that didn't make it to the album, when it should have had! QWERTY (they don't even have a proper name for that song...) rocks!~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

muahaha!! i only like leave out all the rest and what i;ve done.. the best songs on the album.. miss chester's JERITAN la..haihzz

funy that u reviewed every single song.. so funny >.<

Amanda said...

haha i only like 4 songs or so nia. the rest are all so boring!

i miss his jeritan oso T_T no more screaming chester :(