Saturday, June 21, 2008

Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends

Music: Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love - Coldplay

Okay so I downloaded the album a few days ago, and I'm currently listening to it.

And I thought I'd write a review for Viva, so here goes nothing.



Love the album cover lol. Funky.

Well...what can I say about the album...it is not what I expected it to be at all, to be honest.

I read some reviews for it from a few prestigious...uh...reviewers, and I have to admit that I'm a little surprise at the rather high ratings. Overrated, definitely.

In my humble opinion, it's just a little too mediocre. Nothing special, none of the songs really stand out other than the lead singles, Viva La Vida and Violet Hill, and perhaps a few other songs. And is it just me or do they sound WAAAAAY too much like U2? The Coldplay magic is just not there anymore.

The first half of the album pretty much transported me to slumberland. I just wanted to snuggle under my blankets and sleep. It's so freaking boring and monotonous, seriously. Suddenly I understood what my mum meant by "Aiya Coldplay's songs are so boring la. Why you listen to them ah?" And why the Brits voted them as the Band Most Likely To Put You To Sleep.

The second half is a little better, I guess? Really enjoyed listening to Cemeteries Of London, Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Death and All His Friends and Strawberry Swings. But everything else? Just meh. (This feels like Minutes to Midnight all over again...another U2 inspired band eh)

Truthfully, it's not a bad album at all, but it's not really my cup of tea. I'd give it 6.5/10, and I'm being quite generous since I hated X&Y.

To those who feel that Keane is just a carbon copy of Coldplay, well I'll have to disagree, I feel that Keane's music has a distinctly different and unusual style. I would describe their music as 'hauntingly melodic' lol. And I prefer Keane over Coldplay if you wanna know (If you didn't realize before that I'm a huge, huge fan of Keane, well now you know =D). Now Coldplay sounds almost completely like U2. It's not like I have something against U2, I like U2, but I just don't like it when a band sounds way too much like another band. I mean, you're Coldplay, so sound like Coldplay, not U2! Yes, I know that both Keane and Coldplay were inspired by U2, but Coldplay took it a little too far.

Here's hoping that Keane's third album won't sound too much like U2 either.

It's supposedly coming out in September! I can't wait for it, but I just hope it won't be as disappointing as Viva.

No comments: