Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Ill-fated

Currently Listening To: Kalafina - Oblivious


I seem to have really bad luck with electronic devices.

Take my laptop for example.

It's only about six months old? But I'm already encountering problems with it.

I can't pinpoint the exact problem, but it should have something to do with the Vista updates. It was working fine until the last update was downloaded. Not installed yet, just downloaded.

And then my laptop just froze. Nothing worked. At that time I only had Firefox and Windows Media Player on, so it must have been either one of them causing the problem. Or the update I mentioned earlier. That's what I thought anyway.

Since I couldn't shut it down the usual way, I had to force it to shut down.

Then I tried to restart it. Unfortunately what greeted me was a blank screen with only the taskbar visible. So I started to freak out. Once again, nothing worked so I had to force it shut, and the next restart in Safe Mode resulted in a totally blank screen with only a white cursor.

I can't begin to tell you how horrified I was then. I mean, my laptop's still relatively new and my mum would so totally kill me if I were to tell her that it died for no reason.

It was already quite late then, so I just did a little research on Vista's black screens of death with my surprisingly well-behaved computer (usually it's as slow as hell, and constantly freezes - not in the freaky Vista way though).

Found out that it's ridiculously common, so I calmed down a bit and told myself to attempt fixing it the next day.

The next morning I was prompted to start windows in safe mode so I did that. Thankfully it worked! After fiddling in safe mode a bit, I restarted the system in normal mode and woohoo no more blank screens.

Was really happy about it until...the stupid thing froze again. And again. And again.

Thought it was a problem with Mozilla Firefox, so I used Internet Explorer instead. And it froze for no reason. Again. Moved on to Google Chrome, and it seemed to be working fine...

...until a few moments ago. Well, Chrome wasn't the thing that made it froze - Ares seems to be the cause this time.

Yes, Vista crashed while I was typing this!
I thought maybe Facebook's the culprit, but I guess not.

Anyone know what's wrong with it?
Something must be causing it to freeze.
Everything was working fine until that update.

Okay maybe not everything? Last Saturday the wireless network was faulty. It couldn't detect any networks, and the wireless switch was on, but the Windows diagnosis kept saying that it wasn't. It only worked again after I left the laptop for 8 hours.

I don't think it's my fault? Or at least I hope it isn't.
Okay probably not. Since Vista's notorious for being lousy.

Gosh this is irritating. My computer's as slow as hell (I think something's wrong with one of the hardwares) and my laptop keeps crashing? Not good.

If anyone has a solution to this please let me know.

I really do have bad luck with this kind of stuff =(

No comments: