Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Currently Listening To: Brooke Waggoner - Go Easy Little Doves


I finally bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo bookset/The Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson for RM59.90 at Popular! They were having some special offer for the New Year celebrations and it was open to everyone and not just the members. The other bookstores are either selling them individually for about RM35.90 per book, or the bookset for RM79.90, so I'd say I got a pretty good deal.

I was interested in the trilogy because the American version of the movie will be out in December, and the books are like, quite famous?

So far I'm about halfway through the first book. Don't know what to make of it yet, the story is interesting but um, I don't think it's written very well. I mean, there are pages and pages of useless information and pointless descriptions of totally random stuff. It reads more like a report of the book, rather than the actual novel.

I know it's originally in Swedish and I'm actually reading someone else's translation of the book but still, the information is the same right? Note to self: don't ever write like that. It drags everything down.

Despite that, I'm still progressing fast, thanks to the intriguing plot and the interesting characters. Can't really tell what the story's about though. Based on the description on the back cover of the second book, it looks like the story's about human trafficking? I guess I'll find out soon.

Still on my favourite topic (books books books!), I'm totally loving this blog right now:
jennysbooks.wordpress.com


The blogger's a huge Diana Wynne Jones fan, and she even hosted a DWJ event on her blog a few months back! Her first ever author's week event in fact, to encourage other DWJ fans to review her books and to spread the DWJ love. It's so rare to find DWJ fans, so I'm like in DWJ heaven right now. I even learnt new things from the blog - for example, I can't believe that I actually missed out one of her books, A Sudden, Wild Magic. Never knew it existed until I came across it in that blog.

Anyway it's getting late, and I should totally get started on watching the 13th episode of Glee Season 2 =P (and it's 1.40am!)

P.S: OMG I'm almost done with Persona 3! I guess I better finish off the final bosses of P3 AND P4 before classes start.

2 comments:

Yukana vi Britannia said...

Nice layout!

I've been eyeing on 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' for quite some time already. Still not sure if I should get it or not. Tell me when ya finished!

So far I've only read 1 DWJ's book. (All thanks to Hayao Miyazaki) Any good recommendation? Cause her stories seems pretty interesting..

Amanda said...

I just finished the first book and it's not bad? If you like crime thrillers or mysteries go ahead and get it =) It's interesting, but some parts of the book quite boring.

As for DWJ you should try the Chrestomanci series, it's funny =D Oooooh and if you like dogs you MUST read Dogsbody!