Tuesday, September 16, 2008

16th September 2008?

I usually try to keep my blog politics-free (mostly because I can't stand politics) but the recent situation in my own country is really disturbing, and that encourages me to give my two cents on it.

I've been reading some blogs and websites, and some comments by some of the public (and politicians) really saddens me.

The way I see it, most people still don't get it, even after 51 years of living together in the same country. Some may wonder, why can't so and so sacrifice their identity in order to assimilate with *my* culture instead? To those who really think that way, I'd like to pose you the same question: why aren't you doing the sacrificing instead? Are you trying to encourage hypocrisy and to a certain extent, racism? This world, is full of people with different thoughts and culture and religion. By asking that particular question, it shows that you're just not tolerant of anyone else's views and cultures other than your own. Unity does not necessarily mean that everyone has to have the same identity. What are we now, brainwashed zombies?

In my honest humble opinion, unity should be based on a common goal, not one common religion or race or whatever biased segregations. A common goal that everyone agrees on, regardless of race or religion or even political views. A suitable goal for Malaysia right now would be to maintain the peace and harmony of our country.

It is sad, really sad, to see most of the Malaysian citizens bickering about our differences. And now it seems that the politicians are actually encouraging this bickering. My wish, is to see everyone get along well with each other; no discrimination, no racism, no lording over other races/religions. The keyword is respect, people, R-E-S-P-E-C-T. And fairness of course.

What with racist statements, unjustified arrests, 'flip-flopping' politicians and the uncertainty of the ruling coalition, can we really afford to wait 5 years for the next election in order to see some changes? Truth is, I don't know, I really don't.

However it might turn out, I just hope that we could at least have a semi-happy ending.

No comments: