Thursday, March 08, 2012

The Wonder of Houston

Currently Listening To: F.T. Island - 신사동 그 사람


Oh wow. By far the most impressive Top 13 in 11 seasons. Again, there were no trainwrecks, the worst of the lot was just mediocre so yeah, impressive. Anyway, the ladies and gentlemen of American Idol sang Whitney Houston and Stevie Wonder respectively, with Jimmy Iovine back in the coach's seat and Mary J. Blige as the guest coach. BTW Mary's an excellent coach, they should definitely bring her back more often. And for once, the judges actually gave some semi-honest feedback instead of glossing over everything. Let us begin the countdown with...

Shannon - I Have Nothing
Classic example of trying to do too much. She could have hit those notes but she didn't. I know she was nervous but I don't think that's a valid excuse for a Top 13 show. With so many good contestants this year, you'd definitely have to stand out and nail your performance, and she didn't. Still, it wasn't that bad. Other than the off notes, she sounded pretty solid.

Jermaine - Knocks Me Off My Feet
Okay so it wasn't a bad performance, it was just extremely dull. Although he sang it well, there wasn't any connection whatsoever with his song choice. He should probably stick to ballads though, I just can't see him singing any other genres...

Elise - I'm Your Baby Tonight
Again, she didn't sound bad but oh my god the song choice. Whattup with that gurl? Haley sang it last year and I didn't like it. Well I still don't like it. Probably one of Whitney's worse songs. Very, very bad song choice.

Colton - Lately
I don't really have any opinion about his performance. It was just bleh. Wasn't bad, wasn't great, didn't show off his voice and the song was quite boring. Not my favourite Stevie song for sure.

Joshua - I Wish
Honestly the song wasn't that bad and he sang fairly well, but that song didn't do anything for his voice. Might not be safe this week...

Erica - I Believe in You and Me
When she started singing I wasn't looking at the TV, so I thought it was one of the guys singing. When I finally looked up, I was surprised to see Erica on the screen. Seriously, I am not joking, that girl has a really deep voice. Another boring song choice in my opinion, but at least she sang it mostly in tune.

Phillip - Superstition
What can I say? Siobhan Magnus sounded a lot better. That's about it. I mean I like the guy and the performance was okay but...something about it didn't feel right. Not his best week.

Deandre - Master Blaster
Oooooh Deandre. Now that was an interesting performance. Can't say it was great, but it was definitely entertaining. Very interesting song choice for Deandre, nice falsetto as usual. And was Steven or Randy who called him a male Naima?? That was one WTF comment.

Skylar - Where Do Broken Hearts Go
She was no Pia, but did a pretty good job with the song I think. A few shaky notes, slightly nasally as kindly pointed out by J.Lo, no other major issues with the song I guess? It just didn't stand out much for me.

Heejun - All in Love is Fair
Wow I just can't get over the tone of his voice. It's so...soothing and romantic somehow. And it has nothing to do with the fact that he's Korean I swear >.< ANYWAY the song choice was pretty expected, though it wasn't perfect he still sang it well enough.

Jeremy - Ribbon in the Sky
Very nicely done Jeremy. I wasn't expecting that at all so I was pleasantly surprised. Like Randy said, that wasn't his best but still pretty solid I think. Nice vocals, don't know if there'll be anyone voting for him though.

Hollie - All The Man I Need
Girl can really sang! Very impressive vocals, very nice song choice and she looked really pretty too. There were some parts where she looked and sounded quite uncertain, but overall good job Hollie! Like J.Lo I'm kinda rooting for her to win this year.

Jessica - I Will Always Love You
Excellent vocals as usual, but I do wish she'd tone down on those vibratos a little. It's a bit distracting to end almost every sentence with a vibrato so yeah, less of that and she'd sound even better I think.

There's a slight twist for the elimination tomorrow. Instead of the contestant with the lowest votes going home, they will be choosing between the girl and the boy with the lowest votes and sending only ONE of them home. To ensure that there'll be at least 2 girls in the Top 4? Hmm...

I'm really, really loving the contestants this season. I'm like, I can't decide who to discard! I don't know who should go home tonight, if I had my way it should be Shannon but she really ain't that bad. Plenty of room for improvement. OMG. I wonder who will go home tomorrow...stay tuned to find out.

No comments: