Thursday, April 05, 2012

80's Night

Currently Listening To: MBLAQ - Mona Lisa


I haven't been this excited about an 80s theme since...forever? But anyway, 80s music is the theme this week on Idol and I must say, once again the contestants did not disappoint. Not that much anyway. It's still difficult to put someone at the bottom, and this week I have no choice but to place...

Hollie at the bottom of the pack. She sang What a Feeling from Flashdance, I really have no idea what to say...I had such high hopes for her. Sure she didn't sound bad but that song choice, coupled with some pitch problems...I don't know about Hollie any more. She said she was gonna 'have fun' with the song - instead she turned into something dull and not fun. She's falling fast, and if she continues to be clueless about it, she'll be gone before we know it (like maybe this week!). A waste of talent.

Elise didn't sound too good either, that song choice (I Want To Know What Love Is) was just...weak. It didn't suit her voice, so it made the whole thing too restless and pretty unimpressive. Not a good week for Elise, after last week's vibrant performance.

Unfortunately I didn't quite like Phillip's song choice this week either. The song itself was okay, the big problem was that he didn't do anything fun with it. Like I said last week, I don't really mind that he sounds the same each week, but for that to work he absolutely has to nail every single performance. He didn't quite nail it this week so...yeah. Not impressed.

Deandre took a few steps forward this time, and sounded pretty solid after 3 bum weeks. No falsetto from start to finish, which is a good thing, and his song choice was quite okay. A big improvement indeed, and that might actually save him from the gallows this week.

Moving on. Colton, as usual, delivers a bland but somewhat convincing performance. Time After Time was a good choice for him as it fits him perfectly. I just can't get used to his whine though, it didn't sound too prominent this week but it still haunts me. Not my cup of tea, but good enough.

I'm also really happy that Skylar chose to sing a ballad this week. It's a good way for her to show off her big voice, and her decision definitely paid off. Great vocals, she looked gorgeous, the dress she was wearing was gorgeous - a perfect package. And to top it off, the song didn't make her sound too country. Or is it the other way round?

I would have placed Skylar second this week, if not for Jessica's excellent duet with Joshua, who takes the 2nd and 1st place respectively this week. Their duet together was absolutely brilliant! Their voices actually blended well and that's a really good thing cause they're both vocal powerhouses and either one of them might have overpowered the other.

Jessica's solo song choice was a bit strange in my opinion, Whitney Houston's How Will I Know, but at least she sang it well. Solid vocals (as usual), a little a bit awkward on stage though. Girl needs to learn to work the stage more for uptempo songs, and to loosen up a bit more.

That leaves us with Joshua, who definitely gave the best vocal performance of the night. Good job Joshua, and good job on the duet as well.

Speaking of duets, Elise and Phillip's was not too bad either. Can't say much about the remaining 2, didn't do much for any of them. Except maybe Deandre, he sounded pretty good on his duet with Hollie. And as for Hollie...sigh. I give up on her.

No comments: