Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tough Cuts

Currently Listening To: Phillip Phillips - Give a Little More


Welcome to another edition of American Idol, where the 7 remaining contestants fight- I mean, sing to their deaths. Okay maybe not literally, just the death of their dreams and ambitions. With last week's -almost- elimination and the save used by the judges, the top 7 contestants had to sing two songs each this week, and how well did they fare? Very well actually. Extremely well. Honestly, I think all of them more or less deserves to be in the Top 5, but five of them will eventually have to leave, no matter what.

Based mostly on tonight's performances, and with a slight consideration of their previous performances, I guess the bottom two should be:

Elise Testone and Colton Dixon

Not to say they weren't good anything, it's just that the other five contestants were way better than them. Elise sang Alicia Keys' No One and Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye. The first song was definitely better than the second, I don't even have an opinion for that one. It was just...dull and bland throughout. Vocally she wasn't half bad but with those 2 boring song choices, it's time for her to go.

As for Colton...well, honestly I think he has a lot of potential but with the 'rock' version of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and the strange arrangement for Earth, Wind and Fire's September...to be fair, Bad Romance was interesting and quite well sung, but his poor lower register really doesn't do him any favours for that song, and also his second song choice. It's a shame, his Love the Way You Lie performance from last week was pretty awesome.

And now, to rank the remaining 5:

Hollie - Rolling in the Deep (Adele)/Son of a Preacher Man (Dusty Springfield)
If Colton stays in the competition then Hollie should go. I'll admit, she was a lot better compared to the previous weeks but her performances still lacks...soul somehow. Rolling in the Deep was quite good, Preacher Man not so much. Seriously. I'm only putting her in 5th place because of Rolling in the Deep and the improvement from last week. Otherwise, I would have placed her right at the bottom.

Phillip - U Got It Bad (Usher)/ In the Midnight Hour (Wilson Pickett)
His second song saved his sorry ass for me this week. That Usher song...wow. It didn't sound anything like Usher, and definitely not in a good way. It was the usual Phillip style alt-rock kind of song, and it didn't work for me. Now, his second performance was interesting because he actually sounded different for once. That one worked for me, and that is why he's in fourth place this week. (If he hadn't sang that he would have been in sixth place)

Jessica - Fallin' (Alicia Keys)/ Try a Little Tenderness (Otis Redding)
I'm not sure if Jessica did enough to garner more votes this week. Sure, she sang two beautiful songs beautifully, but I don't know. I feel her more than I feel Hollie, but something is missing. I don't know what it is - it's definitely causing her votes (or maybe it's because she ain't sausage =_=. Anyway, Fallin' was a good song choice for her, and oh my god the second song, vocally she was stunning. Not enough WOW factor though. She really needs to have a WOW performance, and yet it is hard to WOW audiences when you're consistently good every week. Please vote for Jessica America! She deserves to be in the Top 3 at least.

Skylar - Born This Way (Lady Gaga)/ I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye)
I believe this girl has it in her to win the whole thing. Seriously. She's a vocal powerhouse, and she's country. Perfect for American audiences. I really liked both of her songs, I think she sang them extremely well. Very unusual arrangement for Born This Way, it actually suited the melody well. I Heard It Through the Grapevine was excellent also. Good job Skylar. I'm behind you 100%!


Joshua - I Believe (Fantasia Barrino)/ A Change is Gonna Come (Sam Cooke)
I couldn't decide between Skylar and Joshua, but after careful consideration of all their performances, I think Joshua sang it better, emotionally and vocally. I Believe was very solid, and A Change is Gonna Come was absolutely fabulous! Better than Adam Lambert's version of the song. He simply outclassed all of them with those 2 performances. It doesn't mean he'll be safe though, I don't think his fanbase is very big so....PLEASE VOTE FOR JOSHUA Y'ALL! He needs your votes and he deserves to be in the finals!

Vote wisely America.

P.S: Not sure if they'll be sending 2 contestants home tomorrow, so I'm just gonna go with one.

Who should go home: Elise Testone


Who will go home: I'm gonna make a random guess here and say....Hollie?

Edit - Results:

And Colton leaves the competition...hmmm not entirely shocked. It's the song choices buddy, and he admitted it. Oh well.

No comments: