Thursday, April 26, 2012

Queen of All Trades

Currently Listening To: Glee Cast - Fat Bottomed Girls

So we're down to six contestants, and what better way to start the show than with a medley of Queen's hits?

Oh yes, it's Queen night on the American Idol stage and guess what? It rocked!

Seriously, I can't find fault with anyone of them (okay, maybe just one) but unfortunately, someone still has to go and this week it might be the end of the road for one of my favourite contestants ever. Anyway, this week the contestants sang two songs again, one song from Queen and another song of their own choice.

Round 1:


Phillip - Fat Bottomed Girls
Shit that was so out of tune. Fat Bottomed Girls was pretty awful, in my opinion. I don't know what to say about it except...I WISH YOU HAD STOPPED SINGING AFTER THE FIRST SENTENCE PHILTIMES TWO!

Haley - Save Me
The beginning was pretty good, her voice sounded strong and there was some potential for something special but then she kinda lost her way towards the end? The title of the song is ominous though. Save Me? From the bottom 3 perhaps?

Jessica - Bohemian Rhapsody

Bohemian Rhapsody was good, but not good enough for the top six. There was something off about her voice for that song, she wasn't quite as powerful as usual. Not too good a performance Jess, we need more from you!

Elise - I Want It All
I think the theme gave Elise a great opportunity to climb right back up to the top 3. Although she sang that song well, I don't think it was quite the right song for her. On top of that, there's just something about her personality that turns me off. I don't know if it's her sulky faces, or her slightly condescending way of talking, I just don't fancy her as much as I did before...

Joshua - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Oh the Queen song was brilliant! It was fun, and it wasn't one of his gospel ballads. Very impressive, Joshua. I don't know about you, but if the Top 5 is four women against one man (Joshua), he probably deserves to win. Don't know if he'll actually win though...that might just be a challenge.

Skylar - The Show Must Go On
Well, that was very well sung! The Show Must Go On, I mean. Very powerful vocals by Miss Skylar Laine. Love her voice,  Good job girl I'm behind you 100%.

Round 2:


Phillip - The Stone by Dave Matthews
Okay so that wasn't so bad. I actually liked the song, and I'd probably listen to the studio version again and again but erm, yeah. Not for American Idol. Time to go home Phillip, you're the weakest vocalist left and this is a singing competition after all. The other 5 sang circles around this dude.

Skylar - Tattoos on this Town by Jason Aldean
Girl is a firecracker indeed. She's just so comfortable on the stage, and it shows. Not so sure about the song choice though, and she sounded a bit nasally at times, but overall still very good. Please pick better songs girl, I'd love to see you win this thing *waves Team Skylar banner*

Hollie - The Climb by Miley Cyrus
That was pretty good, a lot better than the previous weeks. Good job, she might actually have a chance of surviving with that song choice, otherwise she'd probably be gone...

Elise - Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix
Yeah, right back into the Top 3. That was the best she had sounded in weeks. I actually liked it. Unfortunately, the unknown song choice might put her in jeopardy. Steven was right, it does matter actually. Yeah she knocked it out of the park, but that doesn't mean she'll be getting a lot of votes.

Jessica - Dance With My Father by Luther Vandross
I loved it. Much better than the first song, and yet I love the original Bohemian Rhapsody. Maybe that's the reason why I wasn't too fond of her rendition. Honestly, I love Jessica and I think she's incredibly talented, but few of the other contestants overshadowed her tonight with the first theme. Not a good thing when it's so close to the finale. Please pleeeeease vote for Jessica! *waves Team Jessica banner*

Joshua - Ready For Love by India Arie
His first few notes gave me goosies. Scratch that, the whole song gave me goosies! For real yo! He was just that good. That was absolutely incredible, totally worthy of that standing ovation. The only standing ovation I approve of. I'm as speechless as Randy was, Joshua was just plain old WOW. Very difficult to accomplish with this bunch of contestants. GOOD JOB MY BOY! *waves Team Joshua banner enthusiastically.

Overall:
1. Joshua
2. Jessica
3. Elise
4. Skylar
5. Hollie
6. Phillip (It's time to go home buddy)

Best Top 6 ever, seriously. Love them all, Phillip too even though he kinda sucked with Fat Bottomed Girls this week.

Who should go home? Phillip

Who might go home instead? Jessica =(

No comments: