Thursday, May 03, 2012

60s British Invasion?

Currently Listening To: Haley Reinhart - Free

And it's another good night for American Idol, with the remaining 5 contestants singing British songs (define British songs, anyone?) and also songs from the 60s. The contestants (almost all of them anyway) are consistently striking home runs, so it has gotten even harder to rank them. Seriously man, I'm not exaggerating.

With the exception of one I suppose.

Honestly, I think Phillip Phillips has really overstayed his welcome. His performances this week definitely confirmed that for me. The first song was bland and rather uninspiring, and the second song...he mauled it. Like, seriously destroyed it. He sounded awful, and I have no clue why the judges were praising him. His studio recordings are pretty awesome but live, he just does not live up to this season's standards. I don't care how his studio recordings sound anymore, he shouldn't be robbing the other four contestants from their places in the competition. Please, let him be the one to leave tomorrow...

Moving on, we have Skylar Laine in fourth place this week. I love this girl, but she was definitely overpowered by the others this week. She was very energetic with the first song but vocally it was quite lacking, as she more or less mumbled her way through the song. I really liked her take on You Don't Have to Say You Love Me though, she sang it really well. Unfortunately it might have a been a bit too nasally, so...I don't know. It was good, but it wasn't good enough. On the bright side I thought she looked really pretty tonight! Here's hoping she'll be safe tomorrow...

Hollie Cavanaugh continued to improve this week, even with her usual diva song choices. Her first song, River Deep Mountain High, wasn't a half bad rendition but ya know what, Pia and the Glee cast sang it better. Just my opinion, I know she has quite a lot of fans. Bleeding Love on the hand, was excellent. Her best song in the competition I think. Very well sung, and for once, she didn't lose control of her voice. I would have picked her to leave after Phil, but I don't know, she has been getting better and I WAS a fan of hers at one point...

Jessica Sanchez takes the second spot for me again this week. Her first song, Proud Mary (I love that song btw!) was just so-so. I mean, she sang it well as usual, but it wasn't great. Not a good thing for Jess because Hollie chose a song with a similar feel and sang it better, in my opinion. Her second song however - holy #$%@, now that was what I would call a goosebump-inducing rendition of a song! And I can't stand that song - Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful - girl turned that song into something completely ethereal. Loved it, love her. If she leaves this week I'd be pissed. Seriously pissed.

And so, that leaves us with Joshua Ledet, who shines every single week. Talk about consistent! He got another standing ovation for his second song - his thirteenth standing O this season. 13 standing Os! Again, I felt like he didn't quite deserve the standing ovation (Jessica should have received one this week. What's wrong with the judges? Geezus!). To sum it up, both of his performances were stellar. Good job Josh. Now how are they going to market you if you end up the winner? Hmmm...

Undoubtedly the season with the best Top 5 4 ever. I don't really want Hollie to win though. I'm fine with the other three. Oh well, we shall see.

Who should go home? Phillip X 2

Who will go home? Please don't let it be anyone other than Philip X 2

Edit: Results

Sigh Skylar is gone. I knew it. Damn you Phillip!

No comments: