Thursday, May 10, 2012

Strange Themes

Currently Listening To: Keane - Sea Fog

I guess they ran out of good themes? I mean, California Dreamin'? Songs I Wish I Had Written? Hmmm okay. Not very interesting themes but they have to sing something I suppose.

Now about California...yeah, it ain't much of a theme and it shows.

Hollie...well she sang Journey's Faithfully, and honestly she didn't do that good. Don't know what the judges were going on and on about. Her voice was shaky, she didn't quite hit the high notes and she seemed to lack confidence. Not a good thing for tonight, since PHILLIP PHILLIPS is still in the competition. Will Hollie survive the next theme? We shall see...

Speaking of Phillip, man that song choice was whack. Have You Ever Seen the Rain was a really strange song choice for a competition like American Idol, but since it's Phillip who cares? Vocally it wasn't half bad I suppose, and because of that he will most likely survive elimination tomorrow.

And then we have Joshua. He sang Josh (another Josh? Oooh) Groban's You Raise Me Up, the only modern song choice for this theme (what's up with the contestants, seriously? It's 2012 y'all!). He was spot on vocally, as usual but I didn't quite feel the performance. Still a lot better than Phil and Hollie though.

Jessica oh Jessica, she sang Etta James. I don't know if any Etta James fans will be voting tonight, but I sure hope so because that was one hell of a performance, with the perfect amount of sass and vocal ability. Good job Jess! THAT WAS A HOT ONE TONIGHT! Still, I'm worried. It is 2012 after all, and 2012 Etta James is not. Please vote for Jessica if you want her to win!

Phillip and Joshua's Maroon 5 duet was amusing, mostly on Phillip's part cos he sounded just...ugh.
Hollie sounded good on her Eternal Flame duet with Jessica, I thought she sounded better than Jess actually. She also sounded good on the group performance, but out of that I don't think tonight is Hollie's best night. That's bad news for her fans unless they vote their asses off for her.

On another note, why are the song choices on Idol so...old? Almost every single song selected tonight are not contemporary music. It feels dated. And old. The Voice wins on that aspect.

Moving on to Round 2, which was better than the first, for everyone.

Unfortunately for Hollie, even with that decent rendition of Bonnie Rait's I Can't Make You Love Me I don't think that was good enough. She seemed lost, and was a bit swallowed up by the stage. Beautiful song choice though, I love that song. I agree with Randy about connecting with the song, she seemed way out of her depth. Based solely on this week, I'd say that she should go home but as whole, she is much better Phillip. I'm sorry Hollie, best of luck with the voters.

As for Phillip, now that was a really intriguing song choice. I liked that song, I really did but I still think that he needs to go home. It might be a shock elimination tomorrow, who knows? Maybe Phil WILL (finally!) go home. Or maybe Jess or Josh will be the ones going home. I don't know. They don't deserve to go home, but they might. DAMN YOU VOTERS just let Phil go, k?

Although I love Jessica and I think she was excellent as usual, I'm gonna put her at 2nd place tonight. Why? Well that was one crazy vocal, I won't deny it - the only people crazy enough to sing And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going are those who can sing exceptionally well. That person is Jessica Sanchez y'all! Finally a standing ovation for someone other than Joshua. However, I don't really like the song itself so that kinda spoils the whole thing. She better not be going, or I'll be throwing my shoes at the TV screen.

And yeah, Joshua is the best tonight for me for you. He really doesn't deserve to go home, his rendition of It’s A Mans Mans Mans World was incredible. No other word can describe it. The emotional connection, the vocals - everything was just perfect. Hands down the best performance of the night for me. 15 standing Os. Beat that!

Who should go home? Phillip

Who will go home? I DON'T KNOW DAMMIT

EDIT: Results

I knew it, Hollie is gone.

Congrats to Phil, Jess and Josh anyway.

No comments: