Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It's All About Song Choice

Currently Listening To: Paramore - Turn It Off


I actually went to Gurney Plaza today with the intention to watch Avatar again (my mum is anxious to watch it in 3D), but since the tickets for the 2.55pm show was kinda limited, we ended up watching the 72 Tenants of Prosperity instead and bought tickets for Avatar tomorrow.

Not a bad movie I guess. Not something I'd usually watch in the cinema but hey, Bosco Wong's in it! =P

Anyway, thanks to that movie I watched American Idol at 8pm instead of the usual 6pm. As I've said before, I was really excited about the girls this year but errr after watching them sing I am no longer that excited.

Why? Because 90% of the girls sounded terrible tonight.
I'm serious here. I'm not quite sure what happened to them, but the judges were spot on about the song choices. Most of them chose songs that were either too big for them, or too boring and slow for the big stage.

Just awful song choices all around. The award for the worse song choice goes to Lacey Brown. And she's one of my favourites! Unbelievable.

Surprisingly, Katelyn Epperly did better than I had expected. Still not the best singer, but a lot wiser than the others. She picked a song she liked and sang it quite well. Great song choice. The rest, not so much.

Highlights: Lilly Scott, Didi Benami, Crystal Bowersox.
Nightmare: Lacey Brown (WHY?!), Ashley Rodriquez, Haeley Vaughan.
Oh-Wow-That-Wasn't-Bad-Afterall: Katelyn Epperly, Michelle Delamour, Siobhan Magnus.

Loved Lilly's song choice. No idea what that song was but I would love to listen to that again.

I thought Didi sang really well too, loved her voice but the song was a bit bleh. Still one of my favourites though.

Siobhan Magnus is like the female version of Adam Lambert - big voice, great vocal range and the ability to screech on command. I did not like her during the group performance, but she sang pretty well tonight and surpassed my expectations.

And Crystal Bowersox...well what can I say, she has performed consistently well and she did it again tonight. Solid vocal performance, decent song choice but there's something about her that just spells...trouble. I didn't like the fact that she's just doing this for her son. I mean, if you wanna be the next American Idol you have to ENJOY singing too you know. Not just 'Oh it's only for my son. I don't care about this any other way.' A lot of people would kill for the opportunity to stand on that stage, so she could stand to show a little more enthusiasm.

As for the rest of them...I don't think I'd want to listen to them sing ever again. I wonder if they're taking the competition seriously? Ashley Rodriguez was dreadful - I couldn't hear a single thing she was singing AND yet she thought she was wonderful when she wasn't. Haeley Vaughan - poor girl the judges DID NOT love her tonight. She has great range, but needs A LOT of training before she can sing on stage. Lacey Brown was so terrible I don't even wanna think about it.

Those I didn't mention obviously did not leave much of an impression on me. Who did I miss out? Michelle Delamour (sang a decent cover of Alicia Key's Falling but other than that she was uninspiring), Janell Wheeler (what did she sing? I can't remember), Paige something (I can't even remember her full name. Shows how memorable she was) and Katie Stevens (cute, decent voice but boring).

Randy Jackson was another pleasant surprise. He actually gave constructive comments for once. I found myself nodding and agreeing with him for once, while Kara was just...Kara as usual.

So who's going home tomorrow? I have no idea but Haeley, Lacey and Ashley are NOT SAFE from the looks of it.

Next Week: The Boys - hopefully they'll do better than the girls.

No comments: