Thursday, April 08, 2010

Lennon/McCartney and Some Humour

Currently Listening To: Kalafina - Ashita no Keshiki


It's the John Lennon and Paul McCartney songbook week!
...again. Is it just me or do we have that theme every year too?
Oh wait, just season 7. (David Cook ftw!)

Well at any rate Lennon/McCartney seems to be a good theme for all contestants cos almost everyone sounded okay last night.

The worse performance of last night - Aaron Kelly. He went first and boy was he uninspiring or what? He sang The Long and Winding Road and it really was long and winding. And bland. So bland I almost fell asleep.

Andrew Garcia, back to square one. He was cheesy beyond words, I don't suppose it was that bad but compared to everyone else he was terrible last night. Horrible song choice. No one in their sane mind would have chosen Can't Buy Me Love cos that song is just not suitable for a competition! And he was way beyond stiff in terms of 'performing'.

Katie Stevens, I didn't get her Let It Be at all. And everyone's like, praising her! I know it was a lot better than her previous performances but by American Idol standards that was still pretty weak. So I really don't get it and I still want her to leave ASAP. I swear if she wins this thing I'll...scream.

Lee Dewyze. Hmmm the bagpipes. Good distraction cos vocally he was kinda off last night with Hey Jude. The whiny tone is back and I didn't like it at all. If not for the bagpipes I would have ranked him lower! Just kidding haha. Not good.

Tim Urban. You know what I really liked his version of All My Loving. Talk about perfect song choice. His voice totally suited that song, he was not pitchy, not out-of-tune and best of all - he actually performed that song well. Just Tim and his guitar and it really worked! Great, now I'm kinda rooting for him. Darn it Tim!

Michael Lynch. He wasn't that bad last night but I thought it lacked something. Eleanor Rigby, previously covered by David Cook back in season 7, is not exactly a radio-friendly song and Big Mike kinda made it sound even less...accessible. David Cook's version on the other hand, was awesome and two years later I'm still loving it. Big Mike? Not so much. I feel bad for him though.

Siobhan Magnus. Sleepy is indeed the best word to describe her rendition of Across The Universe. Michael Johns sang it so much better in Season 7. (Season 7 > Season 9 by a hundred times!) Luckily there was no screaming whatsoever (what the heck, Across The Universe is not scream-material) and vocally it was quite incredible.

Crystal MamaSox. I loved what Crystal did with Come Together last night. It was refreshingly Crystal-ish and it sounded nothing like Carly Smithson (Season 7) and Kris Allen's versions of it. Granted, Carly's cover is still the best but at least Crystal's effort to make it sound different worked out well. Yet, she wasn't the best last night cos...

...Casey James was totally awesome! He sang a song called Jealous Guy (I've never heard that song before) and wow, it totally showed a different, raw side of him that everyone loved. Yes, including Simon Cowell! It may not have been pitch perfect but the whole performance was just wow. Very impressive. In fact, I thought that was his 'moment', definitely one of the best performances in this dismal season.

Also I love you Crystal! For cracking me up and for saying what has been on my mind all this time - Andrew and Lee, you guys go ahead and make lovely Danny Gokey babies together. They're this season's Kradam for sure!

One more thing, Adam Lambert will be mentoring them next week!
Unbelievable, he wasn't even the winner last year. Poor Kris.
I love Adam and all but...him mentoring the Idol hopefuls?? Very strange.
Let's see how he will fare next week. Can't be as bad as Miley Cyrus or sth.

P.S: I just got spoiled for tonight's results show! Shit. Damn you America.

No comments: