Wednesday, March 17, 2010

AI Without Lilly Scott

Currently Listening To: Timbaland ft Katy Perry - If We Ever Meet Again


While I was watching American Idol earlier, I couldn't help but think 'Man Lilly would have rocked the Rolling Stones night!' and after watching the show, I still think the same way. (I miss you Lilly! Still my favourite this season. Not to forget Jermaine Purifory, who didn't even make it to the Top 24.) That being said, I think all of them were actually better than I had expected.

Let's start with who I thought was the weakest tonight:

Andrew Garcia. O how the mighty have fallen. There's no doubt about this - in my humble opinion, he was the worse contestant tonight. There was just nothing in his performance at all. He was bland, he was off-key at times, he chose a boring song, he did not do anything to catch anyone's attention and...well, he's Andrew Garcia. I mean come one, Tim Urban was better than him! Speaking of Tim...

Tim Urban. It was an awkward performance, thanks to the extremely strange reggae arrangement (for a Rolling Stones song! What the hell?). I'll give him credit for the unusual song choice and for his somewhat decent vocals but other than that? It was not good. I still can't believe he made it into the Top 12 over Alex and Todrick! I don't blame those two for being bitter about their exit. Not at all.

Aaron Kelly. All right, it was a lot better than last week BUT still it's not good enough. The problem wasn't his song choice, it's more like his whole performance style is just too lacklustre for American Idol.

Lacey Brown. I love Lacey but that wasn't a very good nor memorable performance. Still love her voice, her looks, her style - she just needs to polish up her vocals a bit and she'll be a lot better. Based on her performances so far though, I don't think she deserves to be in the Top 12. Lilly and Katelyn were better than her in almost all aspects so it's too unfortunate for them.

Paige Miles. So Paige had laryngitis and yet she sang quite well. Overall she gave a decent yet boring performance, but I think she's gonna make it through to next week. She does have a powerful voice after all, she just hasn't fully utilized it yet. Here's hoping that she'll show us more of that voice before she bids farewell to the competition a little too soon.

Casey James. Meh. That's all I can think of to say about his performance and you know what, I think that about sums it up. Vocals - okay, song choice - funky, outfit - um what?, hair - he needs to tie up his hair okay? He looks like freaking Bucky Covington with that hair. Casey's just a bit better looking than Bucky, and well he sounds better too. If you ask me, that performance was a bit karaoke-ish but what the heck the judges loved it.

Katie Stevens. I still don't like Katie. I just don't like her at all. Hated the dress she wore, what the hell was she thinking? Oh wait, she's only 16. Can't blame her. Yet. Anyway, I actually preferred her rendition of Wild Horses over Susan Boyle's version (and just as I expected, Simon mentioned her. Well duh.), solid vocals, but as always Katie Stevens manages to turn every song she sings into a energy-sucking lullabye. I don't get it. Is it her old lady vibe? Or that boring, monotonous voice? Or maybe it's her lack of emotion. I don't know but whatever it is, I hope she snaps out of it soon or else she should just go home already.

Lee Dewyze. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say it again - Lee has serious issues with his lower range. He can't sing a single low note without being pitchy and whiny! The rest of his voice is okay, and he needs to stop being so nervous every time he's on stage, especially when he's listening to the judges or when he's waiting for results. He needs to be more confident on stage, I don't think he's that bad but I don't see what's so appealing about him either.

Didi Benami. Didi sang really well again this week. She's still giving off this boring vibe, but at least there's a marked improvement in her performance. I used to be a big fan of her, right now however I'm not too excited about her. I can't explain it, it's just a weird feeling.

Big Mike. If you were to ask me who is the most surprising contestant to date, I'd have to say Big Mike. When I first heard him, I thought he'd be cannon fodder like the Michael from the previous season (I liked last year's Michael, sadly though I knew that he was not good enough to be a strong contender) but guess what, Big Mike's actually quite good. The best male vocalist by far. The rest of the guys are either just so-so or crappy. Big Mike is the only one with a wide range, and that includes his amazing falsetto. To top that, he has no pitch problems whatsoever and he's hardly out of tune. Totally unexpected. A dark horse perhaps?

Crystal Bowersox. Crystal. Hmmmm. Well, Crystal is still Crystal, she still sings the same kind of songs and it sounds totally awesome. Unfortunately, some people are getting tired of her because she's Crystal. She only does Crystal and nothing else, so some may think that she's boring. Personally I like what she has done so far, she has been consistently good for the past four weeks. Other than Siobhan, no other female has been this consistent so, kudos to Crystal for doing a good job.

Siobhan Magnus. Best vocals of the night, complete with the screeches. I thought she gave a splendid performance, and I loved the ending part of the song (not that screech). The problem with Siobhan is her control of her upper range. Yes, she can hit those high notes in pitch HOWEVER she lacks the strength so when she hits those notes, it comes off as a bit too screechy and thin (I must be one of the very few people who find her screechier than her co-screecher ADAM LAMBERT). As good as she is, I still think Adam's better than her (thanks to all those comparisons). Now I don't claim to be an expert nor am I biased towards Adam, but I think Siobhan lacks experience and that's why she still needs a lot of practice. Well, practice makes perfect right? I don't know who has the potential to win at this stage but if Siobhan keeps improving, she'll definitely go far.

By the way, hats off to Crystal for paying a tribute to her dear friend Lilly Scott! *salutes* I could see it in her eyes, she was still upset about Lilly and Katelyn's elimination last week. Love Crystal for that. I feel like cheering her up somehow, she looks so sad most of the time!

Results show tomorrow - please, please let those who overstayed their welcome go home ALREADY! *cough*TimKatie*cough*

Extras: Jermaine Purifory's amazing audition!

No comments: