Wednesday, March 31, 2010

And Then They Were Ushered

Currently Listening To: Owl City - Fireflies


It's a miracle!
Tonight, the American Idol contestants actually sounded really decent for the first time this season. Surprise, surprise.
The theme was R&B and even though I didn't think the song choices were that great, at least everyone sang well (yes even dear old Tim Urban!). Usher was their mentor, and he was not too bad I suppose. Better than Miley Cyrus anyway. So:-

Lee, Crystal and Mike were the highlights of the night, I thought all three of them gave solid performances. Lee was the best, hands down (on R&B night too, what the heck) while Crystal and Mike were their usual selves - consistently good. Crystal's "surprise" for this week turned out to be the piano, and I'll have to say that I wasn't that surprised. I think she really needs to ditch the instruments for at least one week, just for us to see how well she'll do without anything else to depend on, other than her singing.

Casey, Aaron, Katie and Andrew were okay, all four of them gave dull but dependable performances. I can't believe Aaron sang 'Ain't No Sunshine' after Kris' amazing rendition of that song last year. He should have thought of the consequences before choosing that song. Obviously he'll be compared to the former, and the fact that his version paled in comparison didn't really help either. And after weeks of mediocre (bordering on awful, actually) performances, Andrew finally stepped up his game last night with his version of Chris Brown's Forever. It may not have been a great performance but at least he redeemed himself. Also, I've realized that I just can't stand Katie Stevens no matter how decent she sounds. There's something about her that's just really unappealing ugh.

Siobhan, Didi and Tim however, did not do so well tonight. Siobhan was actually quite awful! Believe me, I was really shocked when I heard her off-key notes and all those horrible almost-screams. It was so bad, I almost muted the TV (horrors!). Talk about an off night - when she's off, she's really really off. She'll have to step up her game next week.

I was a little doubtful about ranking Tim last because he wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, out of all of them, he is still the least capable in terms of vocal ability. In other words I think it's really time for him to go this week. For this week though, my least favourite contestant will have to be Didi Benami. I don't know what to say about it, vocally it wasn't that bad but the whole performance was just really, extremely bleh. Ryan was unnecessarily nosey and cruel to her though, I mean he was actually bugging her about her reasons for crying. Come on just let the girl cry in peace mmkay?

Overall, quite a good night for a dismal season.
Now if you'd excuse me, I'm gonna go youtube my favourite Adam Lambert/Kris Allen performances. Have a good night.

No comments: