Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bad Song Choice Week Indeed

Currently Listening To: Radiohead - No Surprises


Today's episode of American Idol can be described in just one word - HORRIBLE. Someone in idolforums.com joked about this week's theme being 'Bad Song Choice', and I agree - most, if not all, of them made really bad decisions with their song choices. Only one or two of them sang their bad song choices decently and that's really saying something. Also, Miley Cyrus was their mentor, but I'll have to admit that she was not too bad. When I first heard the news, I nearly died because the thought of Miley Cyrus giving them advice on singing is just hilarious. Moving on to the contestants themselves:-

Paige Miles. What the hell, this girl basically screwed herself just by picking that song. Against All Odds?? Seriously?! On American Idol! Worse song choice ever. And on top of that, she sang terribly. Maybe she should suffer from laryngitis all the time cos she sounded a lot better when she was sick. I mean, she was pitchy throughout the whole song. Awful, awful if she ain't leaving tomorrow then the Americans must be really kind.

Andrew Garcia. Man that was worse than last week. Andrew has left the building. What happened to him? It was just awful. I could hardly hear him sing, and I actually heard the audience laughing at Simon's seriously nasty comments. I felt really bad for him but judging from the way he behaved, I think he knew that he stank. If Paige ain't going home, then he should.

Tim Urban. Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad but the judges were really harsh on him. It may not have been his best performance (the studio version of his Under My Thumb's not bad btw!) but it definitely wasn't his worse, nor was he the worse of the night. I'll give him a free pass this week - I hope he stays over Paige and Andrew.

Katie Stevens. She was out of tune, that about sums it up. She sang Fergie's Big Girls Don't Cry and I love that song, but I hated her version of it. Didn't like it at all. On the bright side I liked her hair? Hated her outfit though, it wasn't any better than those 'pageant-horror' outfits she has been wearing for the past few weeks.

Aaron Kelly. The latest laryngitis patient was definitely having some problems with his voice. I really wouldn't say that it was a bad performance, it was just kinda so-so. He sang I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, and it was kinda karaoke-ish but at least he sang better than the other four.

Casey James. Casey James was Casey James. The same old Casey. Wasn't great, wasn't bad, weird song choice and um, decent vocals I suppose. I think I say the same thing about him every week? Well, can't help it I guess. Casey James is Casey James and he'll always be Casey James.

Lee DeWyze. He was less pitchy and whiny this week, and he actually sounded quite strong. I believe it's just the song though, he didn't have to sing using his upper or lower register so he was in tune. However, that proves how limited his vocal range is. How can people compare him to David Cook?? My beloved Cookie can sing circles around this dude with my surname as his first name.

Didi Benami. I don't know what the judges were listening to cos I thought she was pretty good, for someone who was singing about You're No Good. I'm no longer a fan of Didi, but I think she deserves more credit.

Siobhan Magnus. She needs to stop screaming. Girl ain't screeching like Adam Lambert, she's actually screaming. Like the 'HELP SOMEONE PLS SAVE ME FROM THIEVES' kind of screaming. Again, I blame her lack of experience. Other than the screaming, the rest of the song was quite decent so...rock on Siobhan?

Michael Lynche. I personally thought that his performance was awesome! Once again, I don't know what the judges heard, their comments on his performance were very divided. And I loved how he lifted Miley up with his gigantic bear hug, she looked quite scared!

Crystal Bowersox. Crystal Bowersox is the queen of the world. Or at least the Queen of American Idol. There, I've said it. I'm no big fan of hers, but she is definitely the most consistent contestant this year. In that sense she kinda reminds me of Melinda Doolittle from Season 6. Consistently good, but a tad too predictable. That might sound very unconvincing but at least she's still better than the other 8 constantly inconsistent morons.

Can't believe I lasted through 2 hours of that. At least Miley looked quite amused.

No comments: