Thursday, April 30, 2009

That Was One Big Bow, Paula!

Okay, I realize that blogging about American Idol at 1.30am is a bit crazy but what the heck. I missed the earlier show and I've just finished watching the 12.30am repeat (wasn't watching it alone either :P)

Was planning to blog about it later today, but since I'm not sleepy, I'm just gonna blog about it right now. So here we are, American Idol Season 8's Top 5 contestants!

This week they're singing songs from the Rat Pack (google that if you're interested), and Jamie Foxx is their mentor. He's not bad, actually gives good advice. Minus the whole Miley Cyrus rant thing.

Now before I continue on with the rankings, just keep in mind I'm ranking them in terms of vocals and not the whole performance (more on that later!). Here goes nothing:

5. Matt Giraud
I thought his whole performance was actually okay, but I can no longer stand the tone of his voice. It's a bit too squeaky for my liking. And he just kept squeaking from the beginning till the end. That and the fact that he's the weakest contestant left on the show, VOCALLY. Simon was right about the emotional connection thing. Matt had that, but lacked the vocal ability. Sorry dude, I think your time is really up this week.

4. Kris Allen
I feel a little disappointed ranking Kris so low. Then again, his performance was a bit on the boring side. And it showed his limited vocal range. Not a good thing, in my opinion. He lacked OOMPH tonight. While Matt's vocals (Mickey Mouse voice!) was worse than his, at least Matt somehow connected with his song choice. For Kris...it just sorta lacked emotional depth and his voice was just desperately mediocre tonight so...I don't know.

3. Danny Gokey
In the middle again. I think tonight was Danny's best performance in the Top 13, and yet to me it was still rather mediocre. Can't understand the hype about Danny's performance this week. Sure it was good, sure he wasn't exactly screaming the song...but it just wasn't great. I totally agree with the Taylor Hicks thing now, I can so see it!

2. Allison Iraheta
Love her voice this week! Just fantastic. It wasn't pitchy, she wasn't screaming and she looked awesome too. Definitely one of her best performances. I guess I - can - understand Simon's comment about the lack of connection with the song, but in general I think he got it wrong tonight. Why the sudden u-turn Simon? Some sort of stupid reverse psychology? Praise her when she's just ok, trash her when she's fantastic?

1. Adam Lambert
Okay, so technically - Adam's the best this week in terms of vocal ability. Hands down. No arguments. That single note he held?? Freaking fantastic! No one else can sing like him! (Well, unless you're Luciano Pavarotti but that's a totally different story) But was his performance enjoyable? Honestly speaking...I didn't really enjoy it. I think it lacked...theatrics...showmanship...and somehow I think he's holding back. Adam can do so much more with that voice, just youtube his stage performances if you don't believe me.


With that out of the way, I actually prefered Allison and Danny more than Adam tonight. It's the performance, really. Thought Adam was a little too stiff. Allison and Danny seemed a lot more comfortable. And no special lighting to help them either. That's right, Adam received some help from the special (code word for strange) beam-ish, blue lighting again. Not to mention...the STAIRS. So dramatic and overdone.

It's just crazy, how Adam's being pimped. And obviously everyone noticed (and are not pleased). Hope he'll get enough votes to last till the end cos it's the Top 5 already and the competition's a little tensed right now. Nobody had a bad performance tonight, and that's not a good thing.

3 comments:

Yukana vi Britannia said...

And thus, your priority goes back to AI again. =)

Amanda Vi Britannia said...

Lol. Yeah. And no matter how Adam performs, he'll always be number 1 to you :D

Amanda said...

@yukana: need that distraction :P assignments driving me nuts!

@mandy: nah not really lol, his voice really was the best last night XD