Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Perfect Symmetry Review

Music: Keane - Perfect Symmetry (Album)

All right it's just a few days before the official release of Keane's third album Perfect Symmetry and you can already listen to it in last.fm. Weird marketing tactic? Dr. Z would be so....not proud lol.

Anyway, I've decided to review it now. First impressions are important lol.


Album Cover


11 tracks on the album, starting with:

Spiralling - Well like I've said before, it's an okay song. Catchy but a bit weird (7.5/10)

Lovers Are Losing - Ah I like this song. I really do lol. Loved it the first time I heard it. (8.5/10)

Better Than This - I have to admit, this song is a bit weird. But I still kinda like it. Not sure why though, I usually hate this kind of music! (7.5/10)

You Haven't Told Me Anything - OKAY this song is just a little weird-ish to me. Weird, strange beats. Funny melody too...sounds like Mystery Jets O.o (6/10)

Perfect Symmetry - Supposedly the best track of the album, but I personally think it's just okay. Sounds like a weird mix of Queen and Coldplay. Nice song, really. But a little overhyped. (9/10)

You Don't See Me - Personally, this is one of my favourites so far. Again, I'm not sure why. (9.5/10)

Again and Again - Not too bad. Kinda like it. It sounds decidedly 80s-ish. I think I can bear to listen to this Again and Again (8/10)

Playing Along - Ooh now this I love! It's a lot more Keane-ish than the other songs, and I like the slower pace and the melody. Best track of the album, hands down. The Death and All His Friends of Perfect Symmetry! (10/10)

Pretend That You're Alone - Bahaha the first sentence of the song cracks me up. Reminds me of Coldplay's Lost - big fish in a little pond. First we have fish, now we have MONKEYS. What the hell. Weird song. (6/10)

Black Burning Heart - Another song I love. Awesome track. I'm not sure why it got quite a number of negative comments, it's actually one of the better songs. But eh, just my opinion. And it reminds me of Radiohead a little, and that's a really good thing. (10/10)

Love Is The End - Not bad. Nice song. Could have been better though. (8/10)

Extra:

My Shadow - Awesome song, how come it's only available for the Japanese version + Itunes pre-order?? Not fair! (10/10)

Overall...Perfect Symmetry sounds like a very weird mix of U2, David Bowie, Queen and several other 80s artists. Well that's a lot better than sounding exactly like U2 and U2 alone! Some variation exists at least, THANK GOD lol.

Actually, this album reminds me of Viva La Vida @.@ And that means...it's just mediocre. It's not bad, it's pretty good to be honest. BUT. Not really my cup of tea. Sorry Keane and Coldplay. There's always the fourth and fifth album...

Final Rating - 7.5/10

Personal Recommendation: Playing Along**, Black Burning Heart, You Don't See Me, Perfect Symmetry, Lovers Are Losing. Extra: My Shadow

No comments: